In the world of public shared technical environments, hygiene is of utmost importance. From health and comfort to public perception and equipment longevity, hygiene plays a significant role in ensuring a positive experience for all.
Hygiene is crucial for public shared spatial computing / XR environments for several reasons:
Health and Safety: Proper hygiene measures help ensure the health and safety of users. headsets and equipment come into close contact with users' faces and hands. Without proper hygiene, there is an increased risk of spreading germs and infections among users. There is a duty of care towards users that should be taken seriously.
Comfort: Users are more likely to enjoy the experience and use of these devices if they are comfortable. Clean equipment and surroundings contribute to a pleasant and immersive experience. Dirty or unsanitary equipment can be distracting and uncomfortable for users.
Public Perception: Maintaining high hygiene standards is essential for a positive public perception. Word-of-mouth and online reviews can significantly impact the reputation of an attraction, educational institution, workplace, etc. Cleanliness and hygiene can affect customers' opinions and willingness to participate.
Reducing Illness: Maintaining a clean and hygienic environment also minimizes the risk of staff members or teachers becoming ill. When staff members are healthy, they can be more effective, and reducing the need for temporary replacements and ultimately contributing to a normal operational workflow.
- Longevity of Equipment: Equipment is expensive and delicate. Regular cleaning and maintenance can prolong the lifespan of the equipment.
- Regularly clean and disinfect headsets, controllers, and any other equipment that users come into contact with.
Provide hand sanitizing stations for visitors.
Clean and disinfect the area between users, if applicable.
Educate staff on proper hygiene practices and ensure they follow them.
Implement a clear cleaning schedule and checklist to ensure consistency.
Monitor and enforce hygiene practices to ensure compliance.
Routinely inspect equipment for signs of wear and tear and replace or repair any damaged components promptly.
- Keep records of maintenance and cleaning activities for accountability and compliance purposes.
- Use disposable disinfectant wipes or a cleaning solution to wipe any surface debris from headsets, controllers, and any accessories.
UV-C Cabinet Disinfection:
- UV-C light is highly effective at killing viruses and bacteria. Integrate Uvisan UV-C cabinets (Or other UV-C devices that offer 360-degree coverage. Note: UV-C devices that treat only the small area that touches the face are not sufficient) into your cleaning process.
- UV-C cleaning can be incorporated into the charging cycle of the headsets ensuring disinfection during each charge.
- Follow the manufacturer's guidelines for the UV-C cabinet, including exposure time and safety precautions.
- Ensure that the UV-C cabinet is in a convenient and secure location to minimize downtime and shrinkage.
- Integrated into the user turnaround process, ensuring that headsets are disinfected in between each and every user. The 2-minute turnaround time allows for minimum disruption.
Intermittent Deep Cleaning:
- Implement a weekly deep cleaning schedule. This may include dismantling of equipment where possible/appropriate.
Train staff in proper cleaning techniques and the importance of hygiene in maintaining cleanliness.
By incorporating UV-C cabinets into the best procedure, you can achieve a higher level of disinfection, ensuring that the equipment is thoroughly sanitized and safe for use. Additionally, regular staff training and maintenance practices help maintain the hygiene standards over the long term.
About our Partner Uvisan Ltd:
Uvisan® is a pioneering UV-C disinfection company committed to delivering the highest standards of hygiene and safety. Uvisan’s UV-C cabinets are designed to efficiently and effectively disinfect a wide range of shared electronics and equipment, providing a secure storage solution that also supports onboard charging.
The information contained in this document is for guidance only. No warranty as to the effectiveness of the methodologies in use can be inferred or is implied. Many factors may influence the result of any cleaning procedure in practice. Any cleaning procedure must only be undertaken by trained authorized individuals and no liability for injury or infection can be attached to Uvisan Ltd or its agents.
Any UV-C device that has a direct line of sight (unobstructed) to the UV-C bulbs is considered to be highly dangerous and could harm users.
Any UV-C device that delivers UV-C exposure only to the part of the headset that touches the face is not considered to be sufficient. The hands are far more likely to transmit infection.